Write Letters to Soldiers
Practice gratitude as well as kindness.
Send some cheer to men and women who are far from home.
Share your cards with soldiers abroad who must be away from their families for extended periods of time. Reach out to a soldier you know. Or participate in the work of A Million Thanks, a nonprofit that makes it easy to send your letters to the right spot.
What you’ll need
- Cards (or paper) and writing materials
- One envelope for all your cards
- Optional: Decorating materials – makers, stickers, scissors, glue, etc.
- Please respect their request for no glitter or confetti.
- Read the guidelines on the A Million Thanks website.
- Write a positive message on a card or piece of paper.
- Include your address if you’d like a response.
- Decorate as you wish.
- Drop-off your creations as a designated location or mail to:
A Million Thanks
17853 Santiago Blvd., #107-355
Villa Park, CA 92861
- What would it feel like to be away from your family and friends for months at a time?
- How would it feel to receive a happy letter from a nice and caring stranger?
- What would you do to stay positive and connected if you lived far away from your family?
- What are other ways you can show support to those who are serving our country?
- A Paper Hug by Stephanie Skolmoski
A young boy decides that a paper hug is the ideal gift to give his father who is being deployed.
- Night Catch by Brenda Ehrmantraut
A soldier, who is serving halfway across the world, plays “night catch” with his son, using the North Star.
Take it further
Set up a card-making/letter-writing station in your home. Whenever your kids are looking for something to do, the supplies will be ready to go.
Check out these creative ways to reach out to soldiers:
Browse our other projects that Provide Comfort.
Disclaimer: Doing Good Together™ is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
The recommendations we offer are based solely on our mission to empower parents to raise children who care and contribute.