Get Fit for a Cause
Run, walk, or bike for good.
Raise money and awareness for an issue you care about by walking, running or biking to support the cause.
Those who benefit from the cause you support.
What you’ll need
- Information about the organization and its charity event
- Good pair of walking shoes, running shoes or a bike
- Information on getting sponsors (optional, depending on event)
- Find out what walk/run/bike events are happening near you. Check volunteermatch.org or peruse the possibilities on The Walking Site or in Fitness magazine.
- Read the rules and regulations. Some events ask you to find “sponsors” to raise funds. Some raise money from participant fees.
- If you need sponsors, ask friends and family to donate.
- Show up for the event and enjoy.
- What did you enjoy about the event? What didn’t you like?
- Why do you think causes choose to host walks, runs or bike rides?
- If you had a serious illness, how would it feel to have people participate in this kind of event on your behalf?
- What was it like to participate in a charity event with so many other people?
- It’s Okay to Be Different by Todd Parr (Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, 2009). Ages 3-8. In his fun, simple and colorful way, Todd Parr reminds us that we are all unique and that these differences should be celebrated.
- Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Eleanor Coerr, paintings by Ronald Himmler (Puffin, 1999). [AGES?] A young Hiroshima girl in the 1940s is sick with leukemia from atom bomb radiation. Legend says that if she folds a thousand paper cranes she’ll get healthy, and she decides to try.
Take it further
- If a friend or family member has a particular disease, walk, run or ride in their honor.
- Turn your walk/run/ride into a yearly tradition, as some families do with Race for the Cure on Mother’s Day. Or choose a different event each year.
- Host a fundraising party prior to the race to get more donations.
- Gather a “team” to walk/run/ride with your family. Consider decorating tee-shirts for your team.
Browse these project for creative ideas to Care for Animals.