Sign a Petition
Teach active citizenship and get engaged together.
Take time to learn about and support a cause you and your children care about through online petitions.
Change.org lets you sign a petition or start your own. This way you can participate in initiatives that are up and running, or start a petition for a cause that’s meaningful to you.
What you’ll need
- Go to change.org and browse the existing petitions.
- Each petition includes a summary of the issue so you can learn more.
- Read comments of others who have signed.
- Sign the petition online and feel free to comment on your own reason for signing.
- Consider starting your own petition for a cause that matters to your family.
- What petition(s) did you choose to sign?
- What prompted your choice?
- Why do you think it is important to participate in this type of social action? What benefits can it have?
- What other ways can you get involved in issues you care about?
- I Can Make a Difference: A Treasury to Inspire Our Children by Marion Wright Edelman (Amistad, 2005). Ages 4-8. Stories, poems and tales to inspire children and let them know they have the power to make change.
- Real Kids, Real Stories, Real Change: Courageous Actions Around the World by Garth Sundem (Free Spirit Publishing, 2010). Ages 9 and up. Profiles of 30 young people who have made a difference in the world.
Take it further
- Brainstorm other ways to raise awareness for a cause dear to your family. Consider writing a letter to your representative, starting an awareness campaign or fundraising.
Pick a project category that sparks your family's interest.